Zoom Meeting Minutes: May 5

In Attendance: Helen, Stephen, Caroline, Pat, Bev, Deb

Pat, representing the Community Building Committee: We need rocks for the bins set up at the town offices.  Green up Day will be May 30.  We will observe social distancing.  We want to coordinate with SVSS.  We will have to wrap donuts individually.  The 3rd piece is . . . . Ben and Jerry’s has a grant  and she wants to apply for funds for the community supper.  B&J shifted purposes in response to COVID pandemic.  Pat will use language from our NEGEF Grant and will share it with us for review. It has a rolling application date.

The end goal is to have community members contributing rocks.  We want as many people as possible participating.  Both plastic bins do not have to be filled for gabions.  The gabions for the benches are 18x12x18″

Eventually the town sign will have much larger gabions.

1. Garden Workday Results

Yay!  A total of 15 people were working in the gardens throughout the day.  CJ filled water tank after we left.  12 beds have now been planted, six beds were constructed and three were delivered to homes in Stamford.  Holes in the fence were mended and Blueberries were mulched.  The drive thru gate still needs to be repaired. We will have the next workday on Sat. May 16.

2. Distributed Beds – Next Steps

 John Bohl has agreed to donate 6 yds. of top soil to SVSS.  He will deliver to Pam’s and she will mix it with the compost.   He will also deliver sand to the school garden to be added to soil in beds for carrots.

 Deb also has compost.

3. Garden Shed – Next Steps

 Steve Denalt and Ben Forbes came by the garden to discuss next steps for the shed construction with Stephen.  They said that they were pretty busy, but that they would be willing to find a day in the near future to make more progress on the shed.

4. North Branch Gardens – Next Steps

Caroline, Stephen and Helen started to spread compost on one of Pam’s 3 possible garden areas. Stephen will till this area with a walk behind tiller after it has been composted.  Pam wants to use weed barrier in this area.

Helen has been offered seeds from UVM including sweet potatoes.  Does anyone have experience with sweet postatoes? Helen asked for enough for a 10×10 area.  Let’s do some research on it.

5. Transfer Station Compost – 

Helen asked to be on the selectboard agenda for Thursday, but they forgot to add he.  She will go to the meeting and speak on the issue as a visitor.  The idea is to make compost available to town residents at the transfer station.

6. Plant Starts –

Helen has 15 flats of starts for transplanting.  She needs 4″ pots.  Caroline has a billion.  She will put them in a big bag.

7. Organizing Garden Maintenance

As soon as it stops snowing Helen will put up a sign at the garden.  Can we use the website for people to sign up to work?  We should just make phone calls to people and ask them to cover tasks.

8. Canning workshop –

Clay Z. and Helen discussed the possibility of organizing a food preservation workshop later this summer.

9. New Business – 

The deadline for the census survey that people are being asked to answer has been extended to July.  The results will be important for allocation of funds to the school system, and we could lose a state representative if there are not enough respondents.  Perhaps we could send out a letter or make a phone tree announcement?

The Deerfield paper has posted the results of their Community Utility Board.  The state has allocated funds to finance a fiberoptic networks.

Bill has a Troybuilt Roto-tiller that he is willing to lend he has not had it running for a couple of years.  SVSS could take it to Roger and have it tuned.  It seems that it would be a valuable asset to have for the work that we do.

Meeting Minutes: April 21, 2020

In Attendance: Helen, Stephen, Caroline, Pat, Bill, Pam

Visitors: Pat – By Sunday there will be 2 big bins outside the fence near the compost bin at the school and one at the transfer station.  Sarah will post  a drawing that shows the size of the rocks that need to be collected.  These rocks will be used to fill gabions for the new town sign.

  1. Community Outreach –  Letter and Public Service Announcement

The PSA has been sent to the Berkshire Eagle, The Bennington Banner and iBekshire.  We could also send the PSA to the Deerfield Valley News.  Stephen will take care of this.

The Community letter was mailed on Saturday and was delivered on Monday.  Mike Denalt has agreed to pay for half of the letter.  The Town gave us envelopes at cost.

P: The town has never had anything like this before. It’s Great.

We have already had an inquiry about a raised bed through the website from someone who saw the letter

    2.  Food Pantry Donations – 

Heidi requested that we give food donations to the Kitchen Pantry in Bennington and fresh foods are not generally available to them.  Helen put in a $200 order for vegies at Mighty Foods and will see that they are delivered on Wednesday.

   3. Community Garden Space

Chip Lovett delivered two truckloads of compost to the tennis court on Friday. Dave and Jessica and Stephen and Helen put compost on all of the beds at the garden, Saturday.   Caroline will come with her Mantis to till the beds this coming Saturday when it is supposed to warm up.  Stephen and Helen will bring plants and seeds.  We will get started at 9:00 and try to plant most of the beds.  We will cover the beds with wire hoops and make plastic tunnels.We expect it to take about 3 hrs.  Depending on the turnout.  Individually wrapped donuts

  4. Distributed Garden Beds – Update

We have two people who are definitely interested and a couple of maybes.  Stephen was contacted by a couple who are interested having a raised bed as well.

   5. Community Compost – 

We now have a supply of compost on the tennis court from Chip.

Helen spoke to Dave T. about having a space at the Transfer station to offer compost to the community.  Dave said that there is an area that they have had for a couple of years to receive brush, but is never used. Helen will talk to the selectboard about giving us permission to use the space for compost.  We could offer the compost for $2 / 5 gal. bucket and make a profit. We could also offer plants for sale.  It could give us a presence in the community and a place to post information about our activities.

We could be available to offer gardening tips.  You never know who you are going to connect with.  We should make a written proposal to the selectboard.  Helen will send it out for editing to Caroline. The final version will go to  Laurie to be included in the agenda.

Pam can only get compost on Saturday.  She could possibly make two trips.  Seed Savers will not need additional compost for at least a couple of weeks.

Pam still has to decide which spot to use gardening.  The space near the barn and the other area that was used previously for a garden make the most sense.  Seed Savers will pay for the compost.  Pam will try to get a price break as a landscaper .  Pam also has a bunch of seeds that need to be started, but she doesn’t have a good space for it.  CJ has a little greenhouse and might have some space available.  Pam has pots and ProMix available.  She needs a good spot to start the seeds.  We will work together to make it happen.

Meeting adjourned. Same time next week.

 

 

 

March 24, Online Meeting: COVID19 Response Grant

If you want to attend this online meeting, but you have not already received an invitation by email, please contact stephengreene51@gmail.com for more details.

The primary purpose of this meeting will be to discuss the implementation of an emergency grant for $1,000 from the New England Grassroots Environmental Fund.  To view a copy of this grant proposal go to this link https://bit.ly/33FMok8

How can we best utilize this money under the current circumstance?

Meeting Agenda for Tuesday: March 24 (Via Zoom)

 

1. NEGEF emergency grant towards local food security

a. Seed Library (outdoors)                                                                                        

b.  Seedlings for Stamford.

c. Distributed Garden Beds                                                                

2. Community Garden Space

3. Community Food Service

4. New Business

 

 

May 21: Meeting Agenda and Community Composting Discussion

Next Tuesday’s Seed Savers meeting at 6 p.m. will be hosting Athena Bradley from the Northeast Recycling Council to discuss Community Composting and to explain the use of a large Jora Composter that is being awarded to the Stamford VT Seed Savers for composting of food waste from the elementary school.

Jora Composter

For this event our meeting will be held in the school instead of the town library. The agenda for the meeting is as follows:

  1. Approval of minutes from May 7th
  2. Progress Report: Summer Camp Program
  3. Planning for Church Bazaar
  4. Formation of new Town “Community Committee” (name to be determined)
  5. Chicken Coop update

The remainder of the meeting will be devoted to a discussion of Community Composting under the leadership of Athena Bradley from the Northeast Recycling Council.

This is an important planning meeting; we hope as many as possible can attend, as we NEED YOUR IDEAS!

Seed Savers Meeting Minutes: April 9, 2019

Attending: Jen Hughes, Pam Tworig, Linda Hughes, Terry Stimson,  Larry Potvin, Stephen Greene, Caroline Burch, Helen Fields, Priscilla Tracy, CJ Vadnais, Betty Vadnais, Jen Ryan                                                                                                                                                Snack = Mcvitee’s HobNobs

 

  • Approval of Minutes from March 26, 2019

 

“There is a lot of good stuff here.”  Minutes approved

 

  • Planning of Seed Sharing Event: Saturday, April 13th at fire house

 

    Flyers handed out for distribution. PSA’s have gone out to iBershires and the Berkshire  Eagle.

Whose coming? Stephen, CJ, Jen H., Helen

Note: Pam will be supervising tree planting in North Adams (Northern berkshire Community Coalition)

Terry will take seeds to start at home.

Get there at 9:30

Seeds need to be alphabetized in expanding folders prior to event.  Get in touch with Helen about when to do this.

Helen will send a notice of the event through the school to parents of school children.

Terry will bring coffee maker and coffee to the firehouse.

Bring coffee mugs from home instead of paper.

We will plant seedlings for fundraising during / afterwards.

Pam has plant pots that she wants to give away and hoops for a small hoop house.  Jen, Terry, Helen, and Stephen will look at the hoop house, tomorrow at 1:00.

Terry can bring some tools and a truck and her Husband to help disassemble the hoop house.

We have about 100 new seed varieties from various sources.

We should also have a procedure for people to leave seeds at the event or at the town offices foyer.

CJ brought A-Frame Sign which we will setup tonight. (Done)

Pam also has additional equipment related to seed starting for the school.

Arrive by 9:30 on the day of

 

  • Day in the Dirt: Saturday April 27th  10 am – 2 pm

 

Building of garden beds etc..  Everything is in place to complete the new beds.

Now that there is a gate, CJ can bring his tractor with a bucket to fill the beds.

If we can finish the garden beds we will start work on the shed.

Work can also continue on Green-up Day.  There will be a dance event that evening.

 

  • Bulletin Board

 

Stephen has purchased materials and is building a bulletin board which will be

mounted at entrance to the school to improve communication.  Location was

chosen by the school principal and approved by the selectboard. It should be

done within the next two weeks.

 

  • School Activities Check-in

 

    A planting activity will take place with all classes at end of April.  This will include

Helen, Stephen, Larry, Terry and Jen.

 

  • Finance Report

 

We have received 187.50 in donations through the VCGN website so far, which will be matched by VCGN. They will match up to $250 for a total of $500.

Additional Notes:

Helen is planning to organize a one week summer camp in July that will culminate with the community dinner that is being planned for July 20th.

Helen recently visited the Hawlemont School to see their agricultural program, which has been very successful.  We should have a presentation about the their program in Stamford. Helen will contact the principal about coming to Stamford to make a presentation.

There will be an all board meeting on Thurs. the 24th?

Next Meeting on April 23rd.

   

Stamford Vermont Seed Savers, Meeting Minutes: Tuesday 3/26/19

Bernice, Stephen, Helen, Caroline, Larry, CJ, Betty, Terry, Micah, and Jen

 

  • Welcome and Hearing of the Visitors
  • Reading and Approval of old Minutes  (Approved)
  • Discussion:
  • Grants status (statuses, stati, stata?)

 

      1. VCGN $500 and new online matching fundraiser info SVSS Matching Fund Donation Link: please view!

We asked for $1,000 – We received $500 with the possibility of another $250 matching funds for a possible total of $1,000, which includes the matching funds.  Matching fund donations must be made through the website. See a Seed Saver member if you need access to a computer and want to donate; we can help you do that.  Caroline will send e-mail requests.

  • NEGEF: what we asked for and how you can help make it real

 

 

We asked for everything that was in the minutes from the previous meeting (March 9).

We will need more 2×4’s for the shed than the previous estimate.

We need a raspberry planting date for donations of plants.  We will need to request permission from the selectboard. Caroline suggested we ask townfolk for additional local raspberry donations.

After talking to Micah we have determined that we will put up a bulletin board on the outside wall to the right before entering the building, under the eave.

 

  • APRIL EVENTS:
  • 4/13/19 Seed Swap plan:  place?

 

Volunteers: Bernie, Helen, CJ, Stephen, Priscilla?,  and Joe? Others? We need more.

Can we use the firehouse again?  – CJ will speak to Bill Levine to see if he has requested the date.

We will also start plants at the seed swap.

Caroline will include the Seed Saver’s website link and encourage people to sign up when she sends the request for donations.

Terry will seed plants at home; Larry, too. Bernie volunteered her brother Leon to also help plant and tend plants.

Caroline has hundreds of 4” pots that she could donate.

 

  • 4/27/19 Day in the Dirt 10am-2pm: Build beds; clean gardens…

 

 

  • MAY EVENTS:
  • 5/3/19 Classroom planting at SES (Helen, Stephen and others)

 

Also Jen Ryan, Terry and Larry volunteered;  SVSS will cover the cost of fingerprinting;

We will buy shelving for in school lights.

 

  • 5/4/19 GREEN UP DAY! We table and sell plants

 

We want to recruit more volunteers for Green Up Day.  How about a treasure hunt for the kids (in the garden).

There will be another Rock and Roll Dance that night.  Maybe the dance/Seed Savers could offer a $2 discount to first timer Green Up Day volunteers.

 

  • 5/11/19 Mothers’ Day “Breakfast in (Garden) Bed.” Breakfast and coffee for anyone who shows up, with or without their mother, to build  garden beds!

 

Call the event Mother’s Day Breakfast ‘n Beds.

 

  • SES Agriculture Committee report

 

Grant request for a small greenhouse: Interest in composting program to compost food waste on site.

Plan for seed planting with kids in class on 5/3.  Return on June 7 for planting.

Looked at School Curriculum, there are a ton of opportunities to integrate.

Use reading buddies to do activities, i.e. planting.

Terry – Suggested educational poster board at food waste and related science projects.

Helen – Planning a one week summer garden camp.  Possibly 9 – 2:30 (School schedule) The week before the community dinner, which could become a culminating event.  She will put out a survey to the parents and kids.

Micah is able to send informational flyers home with kids.

 

  • Flower boxes in Stamford

 

Possible pollinator project in school in the fall.  Flowers will be pollinator friendly and could include informational signs.

 

  • NEW BUSINESS

 

We have $1,000 for a large Jorga composter.  Our goal is to be able to compost school food waste on site.

Bernie is sponsoring a second 50s dance in May with the same band.  We discussed a June Event; a strawberry picnic with chicken tenders and strawberry shortcake as a fundraiser for SVSS.

 

  • NEXT MEETING:  Tuesday 4/9/19 at 6pm in Library (2 weeks from today)

 

~Agenda includes plan for imminent Seed Swap on 4/13/19.

ADDENDUM:

Bernie has a pop-up canopy for outdoor activities.

CJ wants to know “Do Students study the solar system?”   He is interested in integrating a garden sundial project with the school.

 

Stamford VT Seed Savers, AGENDA: Tuesday 3/26/19

      Town Library                                                         6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

  1. Welcome and Hearing of the Visitors
  2. Reading and Approval of old Minutes
  3. Discussion:
    1. Grants status (statuses, stati, stata?)
      1. VCGN $500 and new online matching fundraiser info SVSS Matching Fund Donation Link: please view!
      2. NEGEF: what we asked for and how you can help make it real
    2. APRIL EVENTS:
      1. 4/13/19 Seed Swap plan:  place?
      2. 4/27/19 Day in the Dirt 10am-2pm: Build beds; clean gardens…
    3. MAY EVENTS:
      1. 5/3/19 Classroom planting at SES (Helen, Stephen and others)
      2. 5/4/19 GREEN UP DAY! We table and sell plants?
      3. 5/11/19 Mothers’ Day “Breakfast in (Garden) Bed.” Breakfast and coffee for anyone who shows up, with or without their mother, to build 4 garden beds!
    4. SES Agriculture Committee report
    5. Flower boxes in Stamford
  4. NEW BUSINESS

 

  1. NEXT MEETING:  Tuesday 4/9/19 at 6pm in Stamford Library (2 weeks from today)

~Agenda includes plan for imminent Seed Swap

 

Stamford Vermont Seed Savers, Meeting Minutes: 3/12/19

 

 

Helen, Caroline, Susan, Larry, Pat, Bill, Terry, Stephen, Victoria, Jen (Librarian)

 

  1. Grant status
    1. NEGEF gave us a second grant of $3250 last Spring. We have $1500 remaining. Stephen and Larry drew schemes for a shed and priced out wood. Shed is 6×12 with extended roof 18’ beyond shed. Capable of rain water harvest. Larry reports on wood pricing of HP Lumber would be $835. APPROVED paying HP Lumber for this purchase. Still need roofing and hardware in addition to that. We have already purchased and delivered all bed wood. Next year’s grant suggestions:
      1. Greenhouse
      2. Raspberries
      3. Bulletin boards
      4. Fruit trees
      5. Wildflower boxes for pollinators
      6. Speaker series (library events)
      7. Tools donated

 

    1. VCGN. grant tomorrow
    2. Shed and watering systems: see grant
    3. Events
      1. Outdoor Dinner Party (Community Building Committee)
        1. “Stamford Summer Dinner” in front of school/parking lot and rain date in gym.
        2. All community event. Bring your own table and tablecloth; build a rectangular quilt of tables; we ask people to bring their harvest to eat; we provide some corn, soups, potato and tomato; bring your own picnic.
        3. July 20, 2019 Saturday tentative date.
        4. Transportation to gardens for garden activities; hayride; vote for your favorite garden bed with prize for winner. To bring interest to the gardens.

Seed Swap April 13 Bill will check dates

Plant Starts for fundraising: flowers, annuals, herbs, brassicas

Caroline can get mini-meadow author to donate seed packets.

 

We need groups in community to recruit attenders.

Day in the Dirt: April 27 build beds Bill will check dates

Classroom activities Larry and Terry will help with this.

Green up day. We will have a table there. Promote composting at home. We can sell plants again. Outreach table. Branch out with other plants. If anyone wants a table to sell their products they are welcome to do so. We can give away seeds. Terry wants to make raspberry jam. Tyna Senecal sells maple syrup. GUD will contact her.

Church Bazaar: We need a point person for this. Caroline will ask about this. Can we make announcements at St. John Bosco.

Outdoor dinner party: Community Building

August: Food processing workshop? Ask McCann if they offer the class. SG is interested in FOod Handlers; ;Terry is also.

Other workshops?

Harvest event at school

  1. Seed Saving. Bill has a wheat grinder. Used to grind whole wheat and corn in his stone mill. Susan grew blue corn and will bring it to next meeting.
  2. Community Building: Pat described plans for a Stamford Outdoor Summer Supper this summer (possibly July).

 

  1. New business

 

Announcements:

  1. Community Building meeting tomorrow 3/13/19 at Stamford Elementary School.
  2. Caroline has a Timber Press Seed Saving Book and mushroom books.How can we use these and have access
  3. We can plan a mushroom walk soon.

AFTERNOTE: We did not mention that we need a workcamp on 5/11/19 to continue work on the new shed. This is Mothers Day Weekend so we were wondering if people want to also have a SVSS breakfast and workcamp?

Seed Savers Meeting Agenda: Feb 12, 2019

 
1. Old business: SVSS reports
     a. NEGEF grant report and Finance report
     b. Seeds saved and seeds lost to the furies: bring what you have, and tell your story (members)
    c. Stamford School activities
 
2. New Business:
         a) Proposal for Summer Harvest Event
         b) Spring gardening schedule; finish making beds,  planting
         c) Do we want to have a plant sale/activity?
         d) Speakers this year 
         e) Vermont Community Garden Grant application (new)
3. Additional Ideas
         a) working with other committees in town
         b) ????

Seed Savers Meeting Minutes: Sept. 25

  1. Report on recent activities: In the classroom and in the garden:

Delivery of compost by Larry Potvin, Annah Boucher, Ken Boucher, & Stephen Greene, donated by Diane and Nate Finney. It is excellent aged horse manure that we used with great success in this year’s school garden.

We were able to harvest 65 pounds of potatoes from two of the beds that were planted by children in the spring. The following week SG taught grades 6, 7, & 8 how to make potato chips in a microwave using olive oil and a variety of spices. Students were responsible for identifying the geographic origin of several plants including potatoes, peppercorns, olives, and … potato chips (Saratoga Springs N.Y.) Worksheet will be posted on website.

2. Scheduling of a workday:  Work that needs to be done includes the construction of additional beds and a tool shed.

It needs to happen in the next 30 days on a Saturday.

It was agreed that we will have work days on the 13th and the 27th of Oct.

Announce that work will be happening at the garden on the 13th and if we need more work time (which we will) we will carry it over to the 27th.

3. Garden design discussion.

We have agreed to proceed with the construction of the garden beds based on a more classical design worked out using cardboard models to experiment with bed designs.

It was decided that the best location for a tool shed would be in the northwest corner. The new beds will fill in the space between the existing beds and the proposed location for the tool shed. The tool shed should include a roofed extension for shade and shelter. The roof should be designed to collect rainwater. Perhaps we relocate the water tank for collection.

Stephen and Larry will lay out the lines for bed location in advance of work day. Boards will be measured and cut and delivered in groups for assembly.

Weed Barrier and lag bolts will need to be purchased.

4. Farm to School Grant: We have the opportunity to apply for a grant that will help:

  • make the Stamford school garden program more sustainable
  • support other schools in the school district to create additional garden programs
  • bring more locally grown fresh produce into our school cafeterias
  • Work with teachers to integrate gardening and nutrition into their curriculum

We agreed that it would be in our interest to apply for this grant.

5. Discussion of how to renew, expand and maintain enthusiasm for Seed Savers activities over the long term.

Invite families of school kids to participate.

Serve food.

Call on friends to help.

Get the word out well in advance.

 

 

Stamford Vt Seed Savers Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, June 19th:

1. School Programming:  Report on activities in the classrooms of Stamford Elementary School; Angela showed her photo of her children’s garden made because of their love of the garden lessons.

Members enjoyed looking over the gardens planted by students, and Linda weeded while talking.

2.Work Plans:

  • Work and Watering Schedule

Although it rained very much last night, it was still somewhat dry.  SG found a water tank for about $100. CJ might be willing to fill it from fire truck to get started.

It will be elevated so that we can use a hose to water beds from the tank.

And we need a submersible pump to put in the stream. Chris Kilfoyle will volunteer labor and minor parts, as well as advice. SG will send him the info. Details in discussion followed.

Here who says they will water: Caroline, Lynn, Larry and Priscilla will help.

  • Entry to Tennis Court – Delivery of Compost;

once fence is cut, and compost delivered, we can insert the water tank.     Larry, Joe and Stephen evaluated the fence issue. We agreed to go through the middle; SG has hardware to start this project. We plan to make it as child safe as possible. We can start tomorrow (Wednesday).

  • Additional garden beds: wood ready; we will wait until the gate is done; we are getting fifteen 12 footers instead of 10 footers from Mark and Larry. They will only charge us for 10 footers.
  • Watering System: SG getting a 275 gal. tank; we will talk to Mark about how to build it. Larry will look around for some lumber.
  • Tool Shed: we need one for the tools and equipment.
  • Sundial
  • Strawberry beds: we need to think about what we are planting. We want what ties into the school curriculum and lunch program, etc. If we have a few more beds, we can have a school strawberry party. Cherry tomatoes in the beginning of the year; potatoes for fall. What do we want to grow in the next beds. Ask seniors if they want their own beds.

Fall Harvest Plans: We should have a summer party or three for the community(Larry’s birthday, tool shed commissioning; summer reading program; harvest festival)

New Business:  

  1. SG wants emergency contact of people; Caroline adds emails. Chris Warren used to have it. It goes out to over 50 people.
  2. Joseph talked to GMP about spraying weeds; they are now restrained with what they can do; they now smear trunks of trees with weed killer instead of spraying; this seems to be an important.

Next Meeting: July 3, 2018; bring food from your gardens; we will eat and meet.

 

Seed Savers Meeting Minutes Tuesday June 5, 2018:

Present: Stephen, Helen, Timmie, Pam, Ruth, Betty, Larry, Caroline, Ann, Victoria, Angela, Laurie, Jen, Priscilla, and Susan.

Pruning Demonstration:

Pam Tworig shared her expertise in the principles of tree pruning, using the crab apples in front of the school.

Grant Application Status and Budget Report:

 NEGEF has posted that we have been granted $3,250, but we are awaiting official notification. We made $135 at the church bazaar selling heirloom tomatoes.  Seed Saver members can take home whatever tomatoes they want from the remainders.

Church Bazaar Report:

Discussed above.

School Landscape and Garden Design: first steps; maps provided

Discussion: We need to identify the goals.  Entrance to school is one area.Principal Hayre’s idea is to have flowers around the school.   He is open to anything else.

Ideas include: edible landscaping,  native trees and shrubs.                                              Access to the gardens need to be considered

Pat- wants to see an integrated plan.

There are two areas of focus, the gardens on the tennis court and the larger school property.

The most time critical decision will be to decide on the placement of the blueberry bushes.  Placing blueberries along the west side of the tennis courts in a single line along the fence will allow us to hang netting over them from the fence.  The selectboard has already approved this placement.

Four grafted lilacs are being given to the school from North Branch Landscaping.  Lilacs need to be placed carefully, they are beautiful in the right place, but could look odd if planted in the wrong spot.  They are eye-catching and might look good in front of the school. Pam says that they are rooted in place and could stay there for a while.

Stephen will draw up initial plans for garden design and submit to group for commentary and revision.

Next Meeting:

Helen and Stephen say that there is going to be a lot of work to do on the   gardens this year and that we need to have weekly work parties. Helen says that she will be in the garden every Tuesday and Wednesday at 6:00pm and invites others to join her.

           Next Meeting will be June 19th

Seed Savers Agenda Tuesday June 5, 2018: (Starting at 5:30 )

  1. Pruning Demonstration:

Meeting will start early at 5:30 for a demonstration of fruit tree pruning by Pam Tworig of North Branch Landscaping. Meet in front of the school.

  1. Grant Application Status and Budget Report:
  2. Church Bazaar Report:

Tomatoes for everyone! What can we do with unsold tomato plants?

  1. School Landscape and Garden Design: first steps; maps provided

 

  1. Next Meeting:

 

Seed Savers Minutes, May 15:

Church Bazaar 6/2/18:

Caroline told Diana that we want a table and we have a table reserved. $12 for the table.

We need volunteers for one hour each

        Caroline 10:00

Betty 11:00 – 12:00

Timothea 9:00

Stephen 9:00

Green Up Day Report

57 people participated in Green Up Day.  SVSS sold enough spider plants to cover the cost of the grow lights for the school. The eyeballs in the planters were a big hit.

We have a lot of spider plants left. For the church bazaar.

Seed saving this year: any commitments?

 Stephen – watermelons 2 varieties

Susan – has blue seed corn.  She is not going to grow corn this.

CJ – Will Grow Ruby Red Sorghum

School Garden Next Steps: we need to put our spring calendar together

  1. Repot plants week of 5/15?

Dave Bushika gave us about 100 pots for repotting.

Caroline will zap out a reminder to Hiedi about the planters.

Repotting will happen at our house on Thurs.  Betty will work from home

2. Mushroom walk? Who and when and where?

Additional possibilities

Sustainable poultry

How to build a raised bed garden    A Tuesday evening talk June 12

How to plant blueberries
3.  Work camps to build/plant/expand school/community gardens

We have to figure out what the overall plan for the garden is?

Blueberries go along the southwest corner of the tennis court.

Larry: has a suggestion for water. Build the shed and use rainwater to fill barrels.

June 5 we will design and plan the garden.

Seed Library: new container; where can we put it?

Library committee meets Wednesday, 6pm bring seed library.  Caroline will present    proposal for keeping the seeds in the library.

NEGEF Grant Status

We will know before the end of the month if we got the grant.  Then we will receive funds by the middle of the month.

Next meeting will be June 5th.

Seed Savers Agenda, May 15:

Church Bazaar 6/2/18 We need volunteers for one hour each

Green Up Day Report

Seed saving this year: any commitments?

School Garden Next Steps: we need to put our spring calendar together

  1. repot plants week of 6/15?
  2. church bazaar volunteers; do you have plants to donate to plant sale?
  3. mushroom walk? Who and when and where?
  4. work camps to build/plant/expand school/community gardens

SVSS Website info

Seed Library: new container; where can we put it?

NEGEF Grant Status

New business? Other?

Stamford VT Seed Savers Meeting Minutes, May 1

In attendance: Larry, Jennifer, Priscilla, Betty, Sheila Lawrence, Stephen, Helen

Announcements: Caroline has received 90# of potatoes and will make them available to SVSS members after she has distributed to others.

School Gardening Report: Outcomes of seed planting activities at Stamford Elementary. SG and HF taught 4 classes at Stamford Elementary School with all students. Eleven flats were planted for school, home and town flower and vegetables. NEGEF grant is in progress. We need to continue to build our communications and attendance for upcoming activities.

Seed Library: Progress report. CJ and Caroline are working on the case for seeds. We need to make the seeds available now.

Seed Production: Individual membership goals for 2018. Who is planting what for our Seed Savers plan. Jen wants native species which might be at risk of disappearing. Larry can get seeds from his uncle of large, flat pole beans (his sister has them). He plants them every year and wants to save them this year. “Larry’s Yellow Pole Beans.” Stephen will try personal watermelons. When ripe they turn yellow. It is reported that they are often too seedy, but delicious. Jen has Spanish peppers from Spain and will try to grow them (originally came from Mexico); pimentos du Padron. Sheila reports Valerie Dickerson at The Lane plants a giant flower pot with 5 veggies in one pot on her porch.

Stephen brought 2 flats of tomatoes started at the Firehouse; can you adopt a flat to keep alive since we are running out of space.

WE NEED GROW LIGHTS FOR THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND FOR SEEDSAVERS.

GOT LIGHT????

Green Up Day: Plans for outreach and fundraising. Helen, Betty and Bill Levine will sell plants at the June 2 Church Bazaar.

Jen has school volunteers who want to come and split perennials to sell at their school fundraiser. They will come and clean up your garden (moms and kids) . Larry has daylilies that they can come and dig them. Jen will contact Larry.

Larry says some places are planting milkweed to grow monarch butterfly. Larry has Joe Pieweed. He is not getting enough monarch.

Trees and Shrubs: Recent donation. Helen reports there was an anonymous donation of $300 to plant blueberry bushes on school grounds. We discussed where to plant. Blueberries like wet. Jen reports we need 3 varieties. Sheila says talk to Dottie and David Howes on Clayton or Barlow on The Lane. Larry and Sheila suggest set up the fencing and the poles first. Much with oak or pine chips. Dan also grows good blueberries. Acidy mulch.

Wish List: Lights etc. We need a shed. Compost (Larry’s sister has some when it dries).

New Business: Starting the school/community garden. Jen is willing to work with kids to plant peas, radishes, lettuce soon with Helen. Let’s plan a planting date with school; Jen, Angela and Larry will come help on another Mad Monday. Helen will discuss with the Principal. Can we coordinate with the Library Committee to have garden events this summer.

Next meeting is Tuesday, May 15 at 6pm in the Stamford Library. Bring a plan for workdays in the community garden.

WE NEED LOTS OF POTS FOR REPOTTING SPIDER PLANTS.

Larry, Helen and Timothea will repot spider plants tomorrow after 4.

Jennifer will repot with Helen on Thursday noon to 2. Priscilla will come after 1:30.

This will be at Helen’s house 394 East Road.

Anyone that wants to join us is welcome!