Articles

Seed Savers Meeting Minutes: June 23

1. Food for the People Report: We are delivering food on Wed at 8:30am at Al Nelson food distribution. Priscilla will try to help harvest.

2.  State of the Gardens

                        a. School: We are harvesting beautiful veggies for the food pantry/ we have a ground hog who has eaten brussel sprouts, red cabbage, lettuce and strawberries. We baited a Havahart and they don’t like tuna, so now it is baited with cantaloupe. Stephen purchased a pump and working on getting parts to pump out from the tank to the beds. We are two fittings away. We need to replant several beds of green beans, etc. We will replant on Saturday morning at 9:30am to 10:30am. 

                        b. Blueberry Gardens. Last weekend with Larry, Bev, Stephen and Helen we have a drip irrigation on this garden. You just need to lift the handle to water the entire garden with minimal waste of water. This was a major accomplishment. We have extra drip tape (3000’) and it is available for a donation to Seed Savers. Whitney’s is helping us significantly. 

                        c. Potato Field. (Butterfly Garden): Stephen is still watering by hand; goal is to put drip tape on that field as well; possibly this coming Saturday. Larry and Stephen made another onion bed, and we made hills for squash but now realize we want rows for drip tape, so we will rebuild them and plant butternut squash on Saturday. We will need to start hilling the potato plants. We also need an electric fence built and could use help.

Plan for future helpers: We can notify people of a Saturday morning. We can ask for help at the school garden as well. Caroline will think about how to get a list of helpers to the leaders.

Bill discussed a plan for getting his rototiller back into the shop. We will take it back to the mechanic. He will arrange a time for the mechanic to come look at it.

Bill will help Stephen work on the water pump system when Stephen is ready.

Interview report: Helen and Stephen will publish an interview of NEGEF intern, and members will read/listen and approve for public presentation.

Next meeting: Tuesday July 7, 2020 at 6pm via zoom.

Stamford VT Seed Savers meeting June 9 2020

Attendance on Zoom: Pam, Bill, Caroline, Stephen, Helen

  1. There are 3 gardens at Pam’s. The Potato garden is a larger one, called the Butterfly Garden. Potatoes are about 10 rows 49 feet long and 3 beds of onions. Blueberry garden has 180 plants; some have died from heat exhaustion and will be replaced. School garden is being prolific; we need wire, hoops and beds until we can solve the animal product. Caroline has a heavier remay she can contribute. Stephen hopes to finish the Butterfly garden. There is room for winter squash. We will let a community member grow lots of pumpkins, which he has agreed to donate.
    1. Drip irrigation: we finally got the grant money and purchased a gas fired water pump to bring it up from the river and also to pump it out of the tank.Anyone who can go to the tennis court and water would be helpful. Stephen has to figure out how to patch the connections before we can get water. Brooks might be able to get there again soon.
    2. Pam has experience pumping from the river on a larger scale, but will give Stephen advice on how to do that best. In an emergency (now) just pump up and go right to the beds immediately.
    3. Drip irrigation will be coming Thursday. Pam connected us with Eric Whitney, who ordered everything we need to attach the Blueberry and Butterfly gardens with drip irrigation. Stephen will pick that up Thursday. Rain is predicted for 1/2” on Thursday. Not enough.
  2. Food Distribution Plan: The residential community that received a bed has decided to teach their residents to garden, and want help learning how to do that. Helen will go down Friday to give them direction on how to do that. 
  3. Another family is helping water and harvest food which will be distributed tomorrow at the Al Nelson food pantry. Chard and lettuce are ready to harvest.
    1. Rhubarb is ready to harvest and Pam wants to donate it.
    2. Helen will harvest rhubarb and strawberry for the community supper.
  1. Shed building: Stephen texted Stephen Denault and they are working on a plan to work on the shed. We will postpone this project. Caroline might have a brother who might help out with construction. He is a good carpenter. Stephen is also bringing his son and he is a good worker and can help in a few weeks.
  2. We discussed the benefits of being a zookeeper. Caroline’s brother is a kilt-wearing zookeeper. Website: Helen will work on it for June launch and stamfordvt.org
  3. Questionnaire to members: we want to ask members what they are willing and able to do for these projects. We want to have a sense of how much interest there is among folks. Our core group of about six people needs expansion. Pam described lots of work, then did the planting; since the planting there isn’t much to do except water or weeding; now that irrigation is coming work is minimal now. Need for help comes in spurts. Stephen agreed we were helped significantly by groups of volunteers. We need other events scheduled. Caroline agrees the a scheduled event is what works. Stephen says it will be easier when the infrastructure is in place. Helen added that many people want more information on how to grow their veggies. Pam listed jobs to do in the gardens. Fence, tomato staking, we could do another day at North Branch. 

NEXT MEETING: 2 WEEKS on TUESDAY JUNE 23 AT 6PM ON ZOOM. SEE AGENDA IN EMAIL FOR DETAILS FORTHCOMING.

NOTE: THERE WILL BE A WORK DAY AND WORKSHOPS AT NORTH BRANCH COMMUNITY GARDENS ON SATURDAY JUNE 20. DETAILS ARE FORTHCOMING.

SAVE THE DATE: SATURDAY JUNE 20 WORKSHOPS.

Seed Savers Meeting 5/26/20 (Zoom)

Present: Stephen, Helen, Pat, Pam

Regrets: Carolyn

Seed Savers Meeting Agenda: May 26th

1a. Ben and Jerry’s grant: Pat Sullivan

Pat will send a grant application tomorrow; asking for $1500. She has included food workshops in food preservation; focus is on HarveStamford community supper. They respond within a month or so.

Pat also reported on Green Up Day that weather is 50%. She will be there 7:30am. We have access to the building. She will get two canopies from Bill and one from Susan. 

Grant was received from NEGEF today for $2,275. We had asked for $3500.

We are very thankful for the grant under the circumstances. Pam suggest we work on the shed and irrigation system as priorities.

Helen spent 3 hrs watering and weeding all beds, and uncovered and recovered them to prevent rabbit damage. Rabbits have eaten two beds. The lettuce bed has recovered. 

1b. Distributed Beds Final Report: Stephen reports we have delivered twelve beds and filled nine of them. We have 2 beds left to deliver and fill. Pam and Stephen have made this project work well and will finish.

2. Community Compost Update: Helen gave away /sold plants and people donated $400.

3. Green-Up Day Planning and Pam’s Victory Garden Next Steps. Stephen wants to use it to recruit people to work at Pam’s to plant on Saturday afternoon. She is at home in the afternoon.She will put the fabric down by the barn on Thursday. It will be ready to plant. The high will be 70degrees on Saturday. We can send out a notice this week to recruit. One to four. There is a porta-potty there. Helen will recruit at least 6 people. Pam will have beds ready by Friday.

5. Workshops ??? UVM wants to give us a seed saving workshop; Pat is asking B&J for $ for canning and dehydrating workshop. Joseph wants permaculture workshops. Stephen suggests we use the grant to set up a series of workshops; we had also discussed mushroom collection. Helen suggests a new gardener workshop; Stephen will work on putting a blog on the website.

6. Pam has more concrete based wooden signs to donate.

7. Helen is the new manager of the stamfordvt.org and we will do fundraisers.

8. Keith Bona made 2 Stamford Garden tee shirts; do we want to take orders?

Pam says they should be higher quality. We can come up with a design and take orders. They need to be catchy. Helen will ask people on Saturday what they think.

9. Helen will start a bed for Spike, an elder on Main Road.

10. Next meeting: We will begin to meet every 2 weeks: June 9 at 6pm.

Stamford VT Seed Savers Meeting Notes 5/26/20 (zoom)

Seed Savers Meeting 5/26/20 (Zoom)

Present: Stephen, Helen, Pat, Pam

Regrets: Carolyn

Seed Savers Meeting Agenda: May 26th

1a. Ben and Jerry’s grant: Pat Sullivan

Pat will send a grant application tomorrow; asking for $1500. She has included food workshops in food preservation; focus is on HarveStamford community supper. They respond within a month or so.

Pat also reported on Green Up Day that weather is 50%. She will be there 7:30am. We have access to the building. She will get two canopies from Bill and one from Susan. 

Grant was received from NEGEF today for $2,275. We had asked for $3500.

We are very thankful for the grant under the circumstances. Pam suggest we work on the shed and irrigation system as priorities.

Helen spent 3 hrs watering and weeding all beds, and uncovered and recovered them to prevent rabbit damage. Rabbits have eaten two beds. The lettuce bed has recovered. 

1b. Distributed Beds Final Report: Stephen reports we have delivered twelve beds and filled nine of them. We have 2 beds left to deliver and fill. Pam and Stephen have made this project work well and will finish.

2. Community Compost Update: Helen gave away /sold plants and people donated $400.

3. Green-Up Day Planning and Pam’s Victory Garden Next Steps. Stephen wants to use it to recruit people to work at Pam’s to plant on Saturday afternoon. She is at home in the afternoon.She will put the fabric down by the barn on Thursday. It will be ready to plant. The high will be 70degrees on Saturday. We can send out a notice this week to recruit. One to four. There is a porta-potty there. Helen will recruit at least 6 people. Pam will have beds ready by Friday.

5. Workshops ??? UVM wants to give us a seed saving workshop; Pat is asking B&J for $ for canning and dehydrating workshop. Joseph wants permaculture workshops. Stephen suggests we use the grant to set up a series of workshops; we had also discussed mushroom collection. Helen suggests a new gardener workshop; Stephen will work on putting a blog on the website.

6. Pam has more concrete based wooden signs to donate.

7. Helen is the new manager of the stamfordvt.org and we will do fundraisers.

8. Keith Bona made 2 Stamford Garden tee shirts; do we want to take orders?

Pam says they should be higher quality. We can come up with a design and take orders. They need to be catchy. Helen will ask people on Saturday what they think.

9. Helen will start a bed for Spike, an elder on Main Road.

10. Next meeting: We will begin to meet every 2 weeks: June 9 at 6pm.

NOFA Mass Webinar: Grass to Garden in Under 3 Hours

May 8, 2020 – 5:30pm to 6:30pm

If you’re just getting started planning your corona virus victory garden and need some friendly guidance, this webinar is for you! Lydia and Caro built a simple, classic raised bed garden together (while physically distancing!) from lawn to planting seeds in just two and a half hours. We documented the process and will share what we did, explaining how start a simple raised bed vegetable garden from scratch.

Link to register: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1090234355258415115

 

Zoom Meeting Minutes: May 5

In Attendance: Helen, Stephen, Caroline, Pat, Bev, Deb

Pat, representing the Community Building Committee: We need rocks for the bins set up at the town offices.  Green up Day will be May 30.  We will observe social distancing.  We want to coordinate with SVSS.  We will have to wrap donuts individually.  The 3rd piece is . . . . Ben and Jerry’s has a grant  and she wants to apply for funds for the community supper.  B&J shifted purposes in response to COVID pandemic.  Pat will use language from our NEGEF Grant and will share it with us for review. It has a rolling application date.

The end goal is to have community members contributing rocks.  We want as many people as possible participating.  Both plastic bins do not have to be filled for gabions.  The gabions for the benches are 18x12x18″

Eventually the town sign will have much larger gabions.

1. Garden Workday Results

Yay!  A total of 15 people were working in the gardens throughout the day.  CJ filled water tank after we left.  12 beds have now been planted, six beds were constructed and three were delivered to homes in Stamford.  Holes in the fence were mended and Blueberries were mulched.  The drive thru gate still needs to be repaired. We will have the next workday on Sat. May 16.

2. Distributed Beds – Next Steps

 John Bohl has agreed to donate 6 yds. of top soil to SVSS.  He will deliver to Pam’s and she will mix it with the compost.   He will also deliver sand to the school garden to be added to soil in beds for carrots.

 Deb also has compost.

3. Garden Shed – Next Steps

 Steve Denalt and Ben Forbes came by the garden to discuss next steps for the shed construction with Stephen.  They said that they were pretty busy, but that they would be willing to find a day in the near future to make more progress on the shed.

4. North Branch Gardens – Next Steps

Caroline, Stephen and Helen started to spread compost on one of Pam’s 3 possible garden areas. Stephen will till this area with a walk behind tiller after it has been composted.  Pam wants to use weed barrier in this area.

Helen has been offered seeds from UVM including sweet potatoes.  Does anyone have experience with sweet postatoes? Helen asked for enough for a 10×10 area.  Let’s do some research on it.

5. Transfer Station Compost – 

Helen asked to be on the selectboard agenda for Thursday, but they forgot to add he.  She will go to the meeting and speak on the issue as a visitor.  The idea is to make compost available to town residents at the transfer station.

6. Plant Starts –

Helen has 15 flats of starts for transplanting.  She needs 4″ pots.  Caroline has a billion.  She will put them in a big bag.

7. Organizing Garden Maintenance

As soon as it stops snowing Helen will put up a sign at the garden.  Can we use the website for people to sign up to work?  We should just make phone calls to people and ask them to cover tasks.

8. Canning workshop –

Clay Z. and Helen discussed the possibility of organizing a food preservation workshop later this summer.

9. New Business – 

The deadline for the census survey that people are being asked to answer has been extended to July.  The results will be important for allocation of funds to the school system, and we could lose a state representative if there are not enough respondents.  Perhaps we could send out a letter or make a phone tree announcement?

The Deerfield paper has posted the results of their Community Utility Board.  The state has allocated funds to finance a fiberoptic networks.

Bill has a Troybuilt Roto-tiller that he is willing to lend he has not had it running for a couple of years.  SVSS could take it to Roger and have it tuned.  It seems that it would be a valuable asset to have for the work that we do.

Meeting Minutes: April 28

Seed Savers Meeting Minutes 4/28

  1. Community Outreach – Results

We have 12 requests for raised beds and a few people who asked for seeds as a result of the PSA’s that were published. . We have a request from a senior housing center in Lanesboro. They have agreed to pay $75 for setting them up with a bed, which would cover the costs of the materials.

Helen had a phone meeting with NEGEF, New England Grassroots Environmental Fund this morning that went well.  H asked them how they felt about us working with communities in Mass.  They said that what we do with the money is up to us.  They were blown away by how much we have been able to accomplish with the COVID emergency grant so far.

10 people reviewed our pending grant request.  The answers to questions that they were going to ask  were covered by a  letter that Helen sent prior to the phone call..  Helen said that we would probably not have summer camp this year,  but that we would try to have lessons for kids who are working from home.

NEGEF is currently getting a lot of money being funneled their way.   They said however that there will likely be cutbacks  to everybody’s  grant applications this year.

They said, “You guys are doing exactly what we want people to do” so it looks good for the grant being awarded.

We are up to 68 people on the email list.  If we can get to 80 people that would be 10% of the town.

We want to get the tool shed finished so that we can have a garden library there. Storey Publishing anticipates that they will be seeing a big demand for books on canning etc.  this summer.

I (Stephen) talked to Steve Denault about giving me some advice on how to finish the shed, which he agreed to do.   We can finish the job without the young carpenter guys that helped us to get it started last fall, if I can clarify the plan for how to proceed.

The accounting is not quite up to date, but It sounds like we can count on getting more grant funding.  If we had to we could proceed on credit until the grant monies arrive.

    Distributed Beds  and seeds

We have about 12 requests for beds.  Larry said that he and Mark are cutting wood and should be able to deliver soon.  Steve can put the beds together.  Helen started another 10 flats of tomatoes.  Helen is going tomorrow to pickup more flats for starting seedlings.

We need to make visits to raised bed clients before delivery to make sure that they have a viable location for a garden.

Helen will work on putting together seed orders tomorrow.

Mike Denault is sending a check for $150 to help cover the cost of the community letter.

  1. Community Garden – Status

    School – We planted most of the beds, 10 out of 12, with chard, beets, spinach, brocolli, lettuce and cabbage.  We have two more beds to be planted all of the planted beds are currently covered with hoops and remay.

    Pam’s – She picked up 5 yards of compost for her garden area  We will pay for it @ $40/cy.  Chip also delivered some of his composted horse manure to her site.

  1. Community Compost – update

Helen is on the agenda for the selectboard meeting to discuss stockpiling  compost at the transfer station..

  1. Website –

Chris looked at the website and says that the email sign-up  appears to be working fine.

Email contacts from website need to be forwarded to Caroline to be added to the listserve.

Helen has heard from a number of individuals who say that they can’t make the meetings, but they enjoy reading the minutes.

I have added a post to the home page that describes COVID19  project.

Next meeting will be at 6:00 pm on May 5.

Meeting adjourned.

Meeting Minutes: April 21, 2020

In Attendance: Helen, Stephen, Caroline, Pat, Bill, Pam

Visitors: Pat – By Sunday there will be 2 big bins outside the fence near the compost bin at the school and one at the transfer station.  Sarah will post  a drawing that shows the size of the rocks that need to be collected.  These rocks will be used to fill gabions for the new town sign.

  1. Community Outreach –  Letter and Public Service Announcement

The PSA has been sent to the Berkshire Eagle, The Bennington Banner and iBekshire.  We could also send the PSA to the Deerfield Valley News.  Stephen will take care of this.

The Community letter was mailed on Saturday and was delivered on Monday.  Mike Denalt has agreed to pay for half of the letter.  The Town gave us envelopes at cost.

P: The town has never had anything like this before. It’s Great.

We have already had an inquiry about a raised bed through the website from someone who saw the letter

    2.  Food Pantry Donations – 

Heidi requested that we give food donations to the Kitchen Pantry in Bennington and fresh foods are not generally available to them.  Helen put in a $200 order for vegies at Mighty Foods and will see that they are delivered on Wednesday.

   3. Community Garden Space

Chip Lovett delivered two truckloads of compost to the tennis court on Friday. Dave and Jessica and Stephen and Helen put compost on all of the beds at the garden, Saturday.   Caroline will come with her Mantis to till the beds this coming Saturday when it is supposed to warm up.  Stephen and Helen will bring plants and seeds.  We will get started at 9:00 and try to plant most of the beds.  We will cover the beds with wire hoops and make plastic tunnels.We expect it to take about 3 hrs.  Depending on the turnout.  Individually wrapped donuts

  4. Distributed Garden Beds – Update

We have two people who are definitely interested and a couple of maybes.  Stephen was contacted by a couple who are interested having a raised bed as well.

   5. Community Compost – 

We now have a supply of compost on the tennis court from Chip.

Helen spoke to Dave T. about having a space at the Transfer station to offer compost to the community.  Dave said that there is an area that they have had for a couple of years to receive brush, but is never used. Helen will talk to the selectboard about giving us permission to use the space for compost.  We could offer the compost for $2 / 5 gal. bucket and make a profit. We could also offer plants for sale.  It could give us a presence in the community and a place to post information about our activities.

We could be available to offer gardening tips.  You never know who you are going to connect with.  We should make a written proposal to the selectboard.  Helen will send it out for editing to Caroline. The final version will go to  Laurie to be included in the agenda.

Pam can only get compost on Saturday.  She could possibly make two trips.  Seed Savers will not need additional compost for at least a couple of weeks.

Pam still has to decide which spot to use gardening.  The space near the barn and the other area that was used previously for a garden make the most sense.  Seed Savers will pay for the compost.  Pam will try to get a price break as a landscaper .  Pam also has a bunch of seeds that need to be started, but she doesn’t have a good space for it.  CJ has a little greenhouse and might have some space available.  Pam has pots and ProMix available.  She needs a good spot to start the seeds.  We will work together to make it happen.

Meeting adjourned. Same time next week.

 

 

 

Zoom Meeting Minutes: April 15

Attendees: Helen, Stephen, CJ, Caroline, Betty, Pat, & Deborah

Community Outreach Plans –  Letter and Public Service Announcement

Helen is organizing the phone tree and is preparing to write a letter that will go out to the town about the phone tree and will include info about seed savers projects.  The selectboard has approved the letter. We are paying for half of the expense and Mike D. has agreed to pay for the rest.

Eleanor Kilfoyle is making masks. Is this also something for the letter?

Sue Landry is also making masks.  She is putting them out for people to take.  She is prepared to make more but needs elastic.

The PSA is ready to go out.  Caroline will send the appropriate contact information to me, Stephen, to send out to the press, etc..

Helen talked to Jamie O. and  … at the food coop today and they are interested in being put on the mailing list.  Helen encourages everyone to talk to people that they know about our activities and opportunities to start gardens.

Helen will talk to Deb about getting her garden started tomorrow am.

Seed Library –  order/pickup seeds Update

People can call or email Helen to place an order of seeds.  Helen will put together the orders and arrange for pick up at our garage.

It would be a good project for kids.  We will be able to notify parents about this option through the school as per Micah.

Seedlings for Stamford – Setup and procedure Update

H & S have about a dozen flats of spinach, chard, cabbage,. lettuce etc. that will be available to go in the school garden or to other gardens that are ready to receive them.

CJ has built a greenhouse.  It is 12 x 10. he is concerned about nighttime temperatures at the moment as it is unheated.  He has tomatoes 6-10 inches tall. H & S have a heat mat that we can share. Some of his materials are recycled from a previous greenhouse.

Distributed Garden Beds – Update

We are working on this, Deb is one of our first customers.

We need to get the lumber this week, so that we start delivering the beds when people are ready.

Community Garden Space – Update, procedure for working in gardens, scheduling etc.

The canopy that we set up at the garden was destroyed in the wind that came up on Saturday.

CJ thinks that he has a frame that might work to replace the canopy.

Caroline “mantissed-?” one of the beds, but her mantis pooped out.  Roger is working on fixing it.

What is the situation with the potatoes?  We have 150 lbs. coming from . . . FEDCO.  They will be delivered in mid-April to a pick-up point in Manchester.  Could we have a potato planting workshop?  We could provide the potatoes to attenders. There has been no movement on planting at Pam Tworig’s.  Perhaps we could do the Potato workshop at Pam’s in May if we practice distancing.   This would get the potatoes planted and help people who are unfamiliar with potatoes.

We do not want to plant too soon.  When do we want to do this? Perhaps in early May.  Green Up Day has been postponed till the end of May.

Community Compost Plan – Collecting and Distributing Update

Larry was going to help load manure from Diane Phinney’s, but he became indisposed.

Chip was going to donate manure but his truck got stuck in the mud today.

As soon as we get the compost we will add it to the beds.  Stephen will contact Caroline to let her knows when the beds are ready to be tilled.

Deb has a pile of manure.  That she is willing to donate, but she has no tractor to load it .  We need to find someone who can load it for us.

Are we going to stockpile compost at the tennis court?  The tennis court is awkward for people to access.

Perhaps it would be better if we could just coordinate between the people who have it, and those who need it.

Caroline is interested in having Dan Potvin till a garden space with his tractor.

Deb: How about a workshop on freezing and canning as well?  This is something that has come up in the past let’s keep it in mind for the future.

Meeting adjorned.  Same time next week.

Meeting Minutes: April 7

In attendance: Stephen, Helen, Caroline, Deborah, Bill

  1. Seed Library –  How to order/pickup seeds

H: We have set-up the seed collection at our garage.  We are taking orders from people and leaving them in the garage  for pick-up. The list of seeds that are available can be found on our website.  Call or send an email to Helen and she will fill the order and have it available at her garage (394 East Rd.).

  1. Seedlings for Stamford – Setup and procedure

We have a few people who are starting plants,  Lois Bono, Caroline, The Tatro’s, Helen and Stephen.  Jen Munoz from North Adams Community Gardens came for lights so that she could grow seedlings for her gardens.

We have Remay for bed covers,  and we have ordered wire for hoops, which should arrive later this week.  Jessica and Evan Tatro have turned over all of the beds at the school garden.

We have set up a “potting shed” in the garage for anyone who would like to come by and start some trays for germination.

We can transplant starts into the garden or we can make them available for donations.

CJ has built a 10’x12’ greenhouse and has room for additional seedlings as well.

  1. Distributed Garden Beds – Update

Since we have a donation of wood for 5 beds from the Potvins, we could provide at least 5 beds to people who have been requested them.

If we are keeping up with the work we might be able to do more beds.

  1. Community Garden Space – School update, procedure for working in gardens, scheduling

We are making beds at the school garden available to people in the community.  Betsy Harrington has signed up for one of the beds. We have erected a canopy over a picnic table and left a white board for communication.  Beds are available for individuals to adopt for home use and for sharing with others. We have eleven beds in total that are available.

  1. Community Compost Plan – Collecting and Distributing

We will be collecting compost in town to stockpile at the tennis court.

Danny is getting his dump truck repaired and will be available to pickup cured compost soon.

Deborah has a manure pile that is available, but it might not be ready for gardens until next year.  The Lovetts have a lot of aged horse manure that they would like to get rid of before they move out of their property.  Diane Phinney also has a large amount of aged manure that we are welcome to. Larry has agreed to meet us to help load our truck on Friday at 9:00 am.

  1. Community Outreach Plans –  Letter and Public Service Announcement

We were given permission by the selectboard to send out a letter about our activities as well as information about a phone tree that is being created by Helen for communication within the town.  When it is completed we should be able to contact households to assess needs.

We are also writing an article that we want to submit to the Berkshire Eagle for publication as a means of spreading the word about our activities and resources that are available.  Stamford Informed is another venue. Stephen will run it by Caroline for review before sending it out.

Next Meeting

Next week we will meet again via Zoom, same time and place (in the cloud?)

Meeting adjourned.  Bye-bye

Seed Savers Zoomeeting Agenda: Tuesday, April 7, 6:00 PM

  1. Seed Library –  How to order/pickup seeds
  2. Seedlings for Stamford – Setup and procedure
  3. Distributed Garden Beds – Update
  4. Community Garden Space – School update, procedure for working in gardens, scheduling etc.
  5. Community Compost Plan – Collecting and Distributing
  6. Community Outreach Plans –  Letter and Public Service Announcement

NOFA Mass Offering – Resiliency Skills Online Gatherings: Seed Starting Systems at Home

NOFA, New England Organic Farming Association, of Massachusetts is offering a series of free online webinars on resiliency that we highly recommend.  They invite you to “Join us for the first of our free weekly Resiliency Skills Online Gatherings on Friday April 3rd at 5:30pm. Our first topic will be Seed Starting Systems at Home and will feature tours of three systems. ”

Go to this web page to register:   https://bit.ly/39EPgz5.

 

Meeting Minutes: March 31

In attendance: Helen, Stephen, Caroline, Pam, Deborah, Sharon

1. Seed Library – Placement, Permission and Process

Options were the school lobby, out front under a tent, in our garage or be special order. We discussed setting up the seed file in front of the school with a makeshift roof or moving down there a specific time (a weekend).   Pam Questioned if it is worth the labor? We could keep it at our garage and people could put in orders for pick up. Maybe we could just put it out for a weekend. If we could take orders we could control the process and make it safer.  Decision to put a process in place for ordering seeds on the website and notify people about the opportunity for seeds through various means.

2. Seedlings for Stamford – Who, What, Why and How

We are looking for volunteers to grow seedling for the school garden and for others.

Stephen and Helen have started some flats.  Deb has a window that she could use.

3. Distributed Garden Beds –  Outreach and Logistics

The cost would be $75 for a bed.  Pam: Should we not focus our energy on growing foods rather than spreading our labor too thinly.  Caroline: What would we Grow at Pams? How do we control and limit the number of people showing up?  Pam has weed barrier for a large area. Helen spoke with Danny. He has a tractor tiller and is willing to till for other people.  Deborah has an area that she would like to have tilled. Stephen: Sees the beds as a long range goal rather that a response to the immediate crisis.  Helen is willing to take it on to see who is interested. Micah said that he would be willing to push it out to families to see if they are interested.

4. Community Garden Space – Ramping up the school garden – Do we have the people power to manage additional community garden space at North Branch Landscaping?

Garden cleanup at the school needs to start soon, turning the beds etc..  The tool shed is unlocked and accessible. People need to show up and do the work.  We will need a white board and signage to communicate what needs to happen next.

5. Needs Assessment – How do we best identify the needs of the community? There was an implication from Micah that there are families that might be interested in fresh food.  Helen has purchased $400 of produce from Mighty Foods. We want to grow food for the people that need it. Sally knows people who need assistance. Three questions for a needs assessment; Do you need seeds? Do you need help with the garden? Do you need fresh food?

We could ask the pastors if they know anybody in need of food.

We are walking a fine line with privacy.  Can we figure out a way to do this without crossing boundaries.

H: We will dedicate beds to different foods,  We will put up a white board at the garden under the canopy.    We could anchor the canopy to the fence to keep it in place.

There are elders who are unaware that they should not be going into town to shop.

We still don’t know how to reach everyone.

6. New Business

We have applied for another grant for $3500.  The grantors want to know if and how the grant request may have changed due to the COVID19 crisis.  H: We think that we should ask for more food for compost, fertilizer, and weed barrier. The summer camp was going to be self-funded.  Our focus has mainly shifted to food production for those in need.

C: Do we have the means to cover the beds? S: Sharon has vented row cover which she has offered. And we are looking to purchase 9 gauge wire to make low tunnels over the beds.

C: Heidi and Ken have said that they are ready to pitch in in some way.

Talk it up. Tell people about our efforts.  Recruit your friends.

We will continue to meet like this (online) every week for the time being.

There have been reports from the FBI of people hacking into Zoom accounts.  Should we change venues? C; We are small potatoes. It does not seem likely.  S: I will not post the link on the website.

  • Meeting adjourned!

Meeting Agenda: March 31, 6:00 pm(Via Zoom)

  1. Seed Library – Placement, Permission and
  2. Seedlings for Stamford – Who, What, Why and How
  3. Distributed Garden Beds –  Outreach and Logistics
  4. Community Garden Space – Ramping up the school garden – Do we have the people power to manage additional community garden space at North Branch Landscaping?
  5. Needs Assessment – How do we best identify the needs of the community?
  6. New Business

Access the meeting by going to this URL at 6:00 pm: https://zoom.us/j/7479694888

 

 

Online Meeting Minutes: March 24, 2020 NEGEF COVID19 Response Grant

Seed Saver Agenda 3/24/20

Attendance in online meeting:  Stephen, Helen, Pam, Caroline, Joe, Priscilla, and Sharon

  1. ASK FOR email response that you attended so we can put it in the record. Send it to stephengreene51@gmail.com. Titled: TODAYS SVSS MTG.
  2. THIS MEETING WILL BE RECORDED AND AVAILABLE ON THE WEBSITE.
  1. NEGEF emergency grant towards local food security

Purpose of the grant application read aloud.

Grant is for $1,000 – We can use it to meet needs of the community building on previous efforts.  Provide the seed bank. Expand participation. ( We can use as needed)

  1. Seed Library (outdoors)         Discussion regarding the best way to make the seed library available.  Under a canopy, with a wooden cap on it. At the Town hall or Library. It can be locked.  We might leave it until June? Is there a concern about contamination by handling. Wear gloves to package the bulk seeds.  Run it past the selectboard and Micah Hayre.

Clarify the directions on appropriate use of the seeds.  Let people choose what they want. Wipe down your hands before and after use.

  1. Seedlings for Stamford

Start flats of seedling for donations.  Make them available to participants for Green Up Day.  in 5 weeks. We need people to host some flats at home. Caroline will take on a few.  We can make lights available. Church Bazaar.

We are preparing for a possible food crisis.  Grow and distribute what we are able. Buying bulk food and preparing it is a new process for us.  Perhaps we should stick with what we already do well. (Gardens)

  1. Distributed Garden Beds  

FIgure out the cost of one raised bed and bring garden beds to interested households, built, filled with soil and plant starts; they pay if able or donated if not able to pay.    People could sponsor beds. People could use the beds for food to give to the community.

The town is in the process of setting up a community phone tree which we might be able to tap (that’s a Vermont pun).  Perhaps we could reach out through the school etc.           

  1. Community Garden Space

Pam has offered garden space for a community food garden.  Dan Potvin has a tractor mounted tiller and he is talking about growing grains.  We have the school garden that can be used to grow food, As well. We will need to do some networking to find the people who are interested in helping.

Existing beds should be top priority.  What types of vegetables. We need to avoid to spreading ourselves to thin.  Joseph suggests perennial vegetables. Asparagus, nut trees, fruit trees at Pams?

Helen could contact families that participated in the garden camp last year.  We could post PSA’, etc..

  1. Community Food Service

We would need to secure more help.

There is a lot of land that is not being used as wisely as possible.

This grant is for an immediate response to the Corona Virus crisis.  It is about meeting whatever needs we identify. We should be doing a needs assessment.

What about setting up the school i.e. cold frames.  The opportunity to come together as a community and work towards a common goal will be valuable.  We should be building on what we have. We should also be looking towards a diversity of agricultural projects.

  1. New Business
  1. Gift certificate for $100 from wild flower people  by way of Caroline $100

We still have a gift cert for $100 for wildflowers.https://www.americanmeadows.com/

Caroline can share the website.  Encourage people to grow perennial crops.  Should we be thinking about perennial crops.

  1. Public distribution of food.

We will continue to meet this way on Tuesdays at 6:00 for the foreseeable future.

Go to stamfordvtseedsavers.org for notification of future activities.

March 24, Online Meeting: COVID19 Response Grant

If you want to attend this online meeting, but you have not already received an invitation by email, please contact stephengreene51@gmail.com for more details.

The primary purpose of this meeting will be to discuss the implementation of an emergency grant for $1,000 from the New England Grassroots Environmental Fund.  To view a copy of this grant proposal go to this link https://bit.ly/33FMok8

How can we best utilize this money under the current circumstance?

Meeting Agenda for Tuesday: March 24 (Via Zoom)

 

1. NEGEF emergency grant towards local food security

a. Seed Library (outdoors)                                                                                        

b.  Seedlings for Stamford.

c. Distributed Garden Beds                                                                

2. Community Garden Space

3. Community Food Service

4. New Business