Seed Savers 3/10/20 Meeting
Attendees: Pat Sullivan, Caroline Burch, Jen Ryan, Jessica Tatro, Sharon Wyrrick, Larry Potvin, Joseph Tracy, Stephen Greene, Helen Fields, Priscilla Tracy, Jane Potvin, Ruth West, Deb Darling.
- Slide show of last year
- Green-Up Day May 2, 2020 – 50th anniversary
- Seed Savers will have tables:
- Around start of time for Building Community Group to gather ROCKS for new town sign and benches, filled with stone rocks from Stamford, and will be collected.
NOTE: Pre-Green-Up Day program at library, Tuesday, April 28, 6:30 “Climate change and the future New England Forest” Henry W. Art Director, Center for Environmental Studies, Williams College, Robert F. Rosenburg Professor of Biology & Environmental Studies, Emeritus
- Community Supper will be Saturday, 8/29/20 “HarveStamford Community Supper”
. Possibility of a tent to be borrowed
- Financial report: $600
- Pat says Ben and Jerry’s gives grants for $500 or more. BCG asked $4000.
- We will also apply for another NEGEF grant. What direction do we want to take?
. c. We did not get VCGN grant this year
- Joseph: can we ask for a grant to educate our members going to Permaculture workshops?
- Activities this year:
. Annual seed swap event: popular, interactive, picked up a few new people,
- We are not really saving seeds, but giving them away
- We have a good file cabinet for the town foyer donated by Pam Tworig
iii. Joseph: original idea is to save seeds and build a local seed bank; that is an important idea; we can see how quickly food distribution might be seriously disrupted; Joseph and Stephen will work on this as a project. They will look at seeds that are hardy for northern climates.
- Larry has been purchasing heirloom non gmo organic seeds; he doesn’t know how to save seeds; he wants to learn to do that. We have books; Stephen has done one workshop; Sat 3/14 @ 1pm – ?
- DATE: 4/4/20: Deb, Helen, Caroline, Priscilla; we need someone to ask for more seeds
- Okay to put garlic in NOW
- 5/2 and 5/9 for workdays to continue building toolshed and getting beds prepared
- Classroom activities: end of April and then June: Jessica will help plan this
- Other workshops
. Charlemont school ag teacher agreed last year; field trip possibility?
- Joseph would want to manage a permaculture movie event
- Several monthly series of film seminar on food security; April, May June July; Joseph and Stephen will figure out dates and movies
- Jen will ask the new chef if she is interested in preserving the harvest
- Larry and Joseph like the idea of preserving food by fermentation and dehydration
- Deb: gardening 101 early in season; during seed swap!
- Jane suggested Sharon do a pest control workshop
- Distributed garden beds
. Need to do your garden in your own yard; do we want to teach and set people up at home.help with putting it together and planning and start it. Get them to purchase the parts first.
- Next meeting 3/26 at 6 pm in Town Library.